Sunday, January 25, 2009

General Mills cuts some corners

A recent Multi Grain Cheerios commercial played in the US. However, the commercial was one from the UK market that had the actors voices dubbed over in American English. Most people are criticizing them for doing this. But I feel this was smart. The message is clear that the cereal is good for you and knowing it came from abroad tells that more of the world likes this product. What is wrong with that? In fact after watching the commercial a couple times I noticed a couple slips where the British accent came out. Also, it is no coincidence that the male looks like Paul McCartney. Who I know if British, but has a lot of American fans too.

Where I am going with this is that cross cultural ads are a good thing. I think sometimes when Americans see a white European endorsing a product it is viewed as not being international enough. But if a Chinese, Indian, or black Frenchman was advertising it that would be fine. That was a paradox I used to fall into, where only if someone looked different from the norm would that be fine. But, as I have aged I have learned there are many traits to internationalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment