Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Spring Break...What's the deal?

Just fresh off winter break college ( & graduate students) all across America start to think of the illustrious one week off known as spring break. This intermission from academia is what most students needs, especially those who hale from the 4 season climates. From keg stands in Florida to Tequila shots in Mexico Americans all over consume more in alcohol that any bachelor party.

How and why did the spring break phenomenon begin? It is not a recent concept promoted by Bacardi and the big three brewing companies. Rather, some date it back to the Greek and Roman periods in a B.C. period for men and women to meet as it was fertility season. Well then I take it back, after all Spring Break is a big hook up session with wine. I guess as time evolved our society modified this concept to turn Spring Break into a destination. So does that mean the airlines and hotel companies are to blame? I don't think so. I think this just boils down to the concept that we as Americans like to be a mobile society that enjoys consuming alcohol in great amounts. I mean last year I was stuck in Dallas for a night with a friend. With no one to call and no clue what to do we decided to get drunk. Yes the night is a blur and I spent at least $100. But for this blur I have some good memories.

With that I think our marketers have done a great job in creating an artificial need to our nation. We tell spring breakers they need to be in a warm place, they need alcohol and lots of it, they need to have the right clothes, they need to have the right tan before arriving (huh? aren't you going to a warm place to get tanned), they need to have the right accessories (IPODS and beach games). The point here is that all these needs have been built on a simple premise that goes back to the B.C. period. Our marketers have done a fine job telling me what do to.

For spring break I am going to Peru. Do I need to NO. But, some marketer made me believe that this one week off is a great time to do something in a warm place. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment