
While reading the book Millennials and the Pop Culture the author seems to draw a lot of indirect parallels in my opinion. Although Millenials are much more wired and are able to multi-task a lot better. It seems in their deep underpinned sets of values are in line. Both groups to me appear to value the benefit of society/peers more versus personal benefit. Both groups seem to be open to alternative methods of thinking or living. This is all in contrast to Generation X. That group seemed to value their own benefit and glory.
Recently I saw a few of my high school cousins and they were talking about how when they lose stuff at school like a thumb drive or IPOD they have a great chance of getting it back. I remember when I was in high school during the 90's if you lost say a graphing calculator you had no chance of getting it back. In fact, there was always a group of students looking to steal those calculators in order to sell them. I asked my cousins about this and they said they have not experienced such a act.
I think what has happened is that media has promoted good behaviour so much that younger kids today feel like doing the right thing. Rather 10-15 years ago when I was growing up doing the right thing was more of catch phrase. As I think about it I feel like sitcoms had a lot to do with this. In the 90's the last few minutes would be reserved for an apology or learning lesson with some cheesy music being played to signify this event. Today's shows have the lesson learned embedded throughout the episode and poke humor. I believe the witty and spontaneous format has aided this new generation.
No comments:
Post a Comment