Saturday, January 31, 2009

Post Christmas Bargains


Yes, this past year has been rough. Many have lost their jobs, thus their ability to enjoy the Christmas we as Americans enjoy with excess consumption. It all starts with the Black Friday sale through last minute shoppers on Christmas Eve until the final merchandise is picked up from some bargain shopping thrill seeker such as myself.

However, this year considering how bad sales were I found the sales to not be anything special. I think there was more hype and the stores made us feel the sales were great so we would purchase more goods. But, in the end it was the same old song and dance. My belief is that the stores didn't want the customers to get extreme bargains, since they would continue to expect them and drive down prices in the future. Rather, I noticed popular store brands such as Banana Republic and CK in outlet stores and discounters (TJ MAX) a lot quicker this year. Not a bad strategy in my opinion, just deceiving if the sales were nothing special. We all know our society has a compulsion to consume, so just getting someone in the store equates to some sales. Having worked in retail for a couple years I might be biased or just more insightful. I don't know which one. I do know I am a bargain shopper, so I will be a critic. Either way, I have to say hats off to the mall stores since I was in them a couple days ago and most their winter clothes are gone, except for a few sale racks in the back.

At times you need more sizzle than steak and this could be one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment